Sunday, April 17, 2011

Marathon - 26.2 miles!

Right before the start...

The start line
Running through the finish!


SO happy to be DONE!!


This past weekend I ran, and completed, the St. Louis Marathon! It was super exciting to look back and realize what I had done, but in the moment was not so glamorous. I was feeling great until about 13 miles, and then the course got very hilly and very hot and humid. Afterwards, people were saying it was in the 80's, and I believe them! I was drinking a cup of water and a cup of Gatorade at every aid station, and it didn't feel like enough. My hips also started cramping badly around 20 miles, so it was all I could do to run a mile. I walked quite a bit in the last bit, but promised myself I would run the last mile, and I did! That day, and even the next, I swore I would never ever do this again, because I was in so much pain, but now I think I might, just to get my time down. I'm really not sore and just have a sore big toe, so for my first marathon, I think it turned out alright! I might try to do some half marathons over the summer just to stay in shape, but we'll see...

2 comments:

Jeff & Sylvia Bryant said...

Wow! We are very proud of you Jessica. That is a real accomplishment given your relocation from Germany and raising a little girl. You looked great, even at the finish!

A marathon is huge, not just in itself but the disciplined training needed to prepare over weeks and months.

I bet you feel much more powerful in your running now. :) Those 5 milers don't seem so long anymore, huh? Good luck on the track and road.

dnegronjr@aol.com said...

Alicia is coming home today! She'll be so glad to see how big and beautiful the "baby" is.