Happy Independence Day! Although our day was pretty uneventful (Tom was working the celebration event on base and I was at home keeping Julia out of the heat - we were able to watch the fireworks from our balacony together, though!), I had a lot of time to reflect on what this day means to us, as Americans. I think we all can get caught up in our day to day lives and unintentionally take for granted the unique legacy that we've inherited by being American. I feel blessed to have known countless patriots, beginning first with those family members who have served our country selflessly, not necessarily in the military, but also in the way they live their lives, and now, serving alongside my brothers and sisters in arms. It's comforting to me, that when it seems as though the world is going crazy and people are getting increasingly self-centered and self-serving, to know that there are many many people who would give so willingly and freely of themselves, regardless of the fact that their sacrifices often go unnoticed or unappreciated. It gives me hope in our future, and I know that's the kind of hope you can rely on - not empty promises or underhanded words. With the sacrifices our family has made and will continue to make, we have only to look at Julia to know the reason we serve - to secure freedom and democracy for today and tomorrow.
1 comment:
What a great post I hope our children will have a future of democracy and freedom to look forward to as well. Julia looks so patriotic, I love it!
Post a Comment