Monday, March 9, 2009

Welcome to the World Julia Hope!!

Feeling great, thanks to the epidural

Fetal heart rate (top) and contraction monitor (below)

Julia Hope, 1 hour old


Julia and mommy



Daddy changing her diaper




Just about 24 hours old





Baby blues!




Kiss from daddy




Julia is full and sleepy


Being burped by daddy


Fussy girl!




Feeling a little tired..


All ready to go home!!


Starting Tuesday night (of last week), I started having contractions that were waking me up, but weren't very frequent. All day Wednesday at work I was having contractions that were getting more regular, but were still tolerable. I finally asked Tom to drive me home in the afternoon, and later that night we called the hospital. they said we could come in, but when they checked, I was only dialated about 2cm. The same thing happened Thursday, all day contractions and a trip to the hospital, and I began to get very uncomfortable. By Friday, I was in so much pain that Tom stayed home with me, and we just tried to do things to distract me and were trying to avoid another false alarm at the hospital. Athena called, and then I called Mom, and Mom convinced Tom we should probably go to the hospital anyway. Once we got there, the best thing we heard from the nurse was "good news, you're going home with a baby!!" I was admitted about 10 pm, by 11:30 pm I had an epidural (amazing!!), and was pushing by 4am. Julia Hope was born at 5:08 am, and came out screaming. They immediately put her on my chest, Tom cut the umbilical chord, and they gave us about 2 hours to ourselves to hold her and breastfeed. I feel extremely blessed that the delivery was relatively painless and quick. I also had none of the common delivery "battlewounds:, so I think my recovery is going to go very fast! The next couple of days we spent in the hospital learning how to nurse, change diapers (ok, I have to give Tom credit for doing 98% of the diaper changes!), and calm down our gorgeous daughter. It was an absolutely amazing experience, and undoubtely worth all the months of discomfort :). Enjoy the photos! There will be tons more to follow...we can't get enough of our baby girl! For right now though, we're enjoying our first night at home as a family :).

9 comments:

Athena Joy said...

She is so adorable and lovely! I love her little outfit. I look forward to more pictures, I can't get enough of her either!

delis said...

wonderful description of the whole birth. the baby is beautiful, keep the pictures coming. she's got great parents. thanks a million for your post.

~Mary Lennox~ said...

Congratulations Tom & Jessica - she's BEAUTIFUL! And I can't believe how tiny she is in that carseat. We look forward to more pictures too!

The Kluge's said...

Oh man, she is so cute!! Congratulations you both. I agree with Athena, I can't wait for more pictures.

Jeff & Sylvia Bryant said...

We're so proud of you two and grateful everything went so well. Julia is a beautiful daughter. Love from Mom and Dad

delis said...

congratulations to Tom and Jessica, she's lovely and aptly named. many thanks for the pics.

delis said...

congratulations to Tom and Jessica, she's lovely and aptly named. many thanks for the pics.

Peggy said...

Congratulations!! You have a beautiful baby girl. Glad to hear all went so well. Jessica, you look good - can't tell from these pics that you just went through childbirth. Tom handles Julia so well. You two will be great parents. By the way - you will NEVER get your fill of her - at any age!!! Congrats again and thanks for sharing your pics.

Jeff & Sylvia Bryant said...

Julia is sooooooo cute! Especially in the arms of Mommy or Daddy. I am surprised she had her eyes open so much on her first day. A buddy genius already!

She is so adorable, I keep coming back to your blog to admire her. What a beautiful baby girl. It looks like you both are thoroughly enjoying Julia.

When we were talking to you on the phone Sunday she sounded very healthy in her cries. Good strong lungs.

Keep posting, we love photos of all three of you!!